PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2012, 01:55
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "Oh come on! A "£9bn" announcement, which includes £5bn alread committed, do the maths! All of the other projects have been in the pipeline anyway, there is nothing new here."

It is common practice for government announcements to include "reheated" items. Most of this has Lord Adonis written all over it, so it's from the previous government.

Quote: "Except of course that the "electric spine" will prop up "Mr Spineless" by running to his Sheffield stomping ground."

The "electric spine" will probably be too late to prop up "Mr Spineless", on present form he'll be gone in 2015.

Quote: "I still haven't worked out how the existing routes (eg the XC route which starts at Bournemouth, but the wires aren't there until Southampton) will operate, but that's another one for PTDRUNe."

Maybe they'll do what should have been done for years, particularly on cross-country routes: use dual-mode trains.

Quote: "In which case, she shouldn't have been given the job! I had hoped she'd be shoved out the way, but my Tory contacts say she will be promoted UP! Speaking of bookies, they have her at 33/1 - still a long shot!"

It's standard industry practice to promote people beyond their capabilities, that's why standards of management are generally so appaling, or to promote them "out of the way".

If it happens to Greening, sideways or upwards is immaterial, she would be away from transport, and that's what matters.

Quote: "I'm afraid Silver is making the classic American mistake of confusing England with the UK. The addition of the huge, largely deserted, Scottish landmass has a rather significant impact on the figures."

Precisely, that is exactly the point.

Quote: "I'm afraid you are giving the government too much credit. For the time being, Heathrow is the main hub, therefore it gets the surface investment. This does not mean either (a) that they will approve a third runway, nor (b) that they have abandoned Fantasy Island."

It does however confirm what we already that know: that Heathrow cannot be closed, and consequently, there will be no estuary airport.

Quote: "The left turn at "airport junction" should have been done yonks ago, and also makes far more sense with electrification through to Reading and beyond, rather than just Maidenhead, as per Crossrail."

Agreed,and it's crazy that crossrail won't run between Maidenhead and Reading to provide access to the huge railway interchange there, and to cater for the increasing numbers of commuters who work in Reading.

Quote: "The fact they are taking a line from Slough into Heathrow is interesting, but I'd like to see the full plans. £500m doesn't buy much tunnelling or new underground platforms."

Best guess is that it will run from Slough to LHR-5, then on existing tracks to LHR-1/2/3 then to back on the main line at Airport Junction.

Quote: "Now if you do want a wasteful airfield, take a look at Montreal Mirabel. Now if Fantasy Island gets approved without closure of LHR, that is exactly what it will become."

Quite. Wasn't that one hell of a disaster!

Quote: "The D.T. would never say such a thing. If you want to talk hard stats, as opposed to tourism, there is no such country as Holland."

Indeed there isn't, but it's a common mistake. North Holland and South
Holland are two counties of the Netherlands.

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 19th Jul 2012 at 01:58. Reason: typo