PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Service Pension Reduction
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2012, 23:33
Mudge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pension Abatement

Hi orionsbelt,

I read your article with interest as I am just about to be on the receiving end of this ruling - 65 this month.

By pure fluke I heard about the NI Modification Rule when I phoned xafinity paymaster regarding another issue in May of this year. The person that I spoke to used the imortal words 'National Insurance Modification Rule'. As I did not have a clue as to what it meant I asked a few questions in order to get some understanding. I soon realized that I was one of possibly a privileged few who had early warning as to what was coming my way; I understand now that most people don't hear about it until it has happened.

Since May I have made several phone calls and most of them have come up with blanks. The most definitive answer I have been given, are you ready for this? All other ex-servicemen accept it why can't you?

Being a bit of a hoarder I found a one-page document amongst other paperwork from when I left the forces 25 years ago. It reads:

Service Pension will be abated at age 65 by a statutory weekly amount of 1.667p for each complete year of reckonable service before 1 April 1980, subject to a maximum deduction of 80p a week. Maybe a play on words on my part but there is no mention of RPI, CPI or any other inflatory tool being applied.

Mudge