PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My plan for becoming a pilot (UK)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2012, 19:45
i luv aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My plan for becoming a pilot (UK)

Okay guys,

I have always wanted to become a pilot and have planned it out. However, I need you guys to tell me what you think!

I’m currently doing my A-levels, and hope to study pharmacy in uni. This will take about 4-5 years. Speaking to many pharmacy students, Boots starts its pharmacists off from like 38 k! Their starting salary could also be up to 42 k for those who would a little harder.... One Asda pharmacist told me she’s on a starting salary of 45k! And that some people are on 50 k!

So with salaries like these, I’m planning to work about maybe 3-4 years in order to pay off my university fees and gain money for flight training.

I would be about 30 when I start off as a pilot (hopefully!). But will this be worth it? I also plan to get married at like 32

Do you recommend I go through the British Airways cadet pilot programme? the reason why I’m asking is because I heard the salary is much lower than those who didn’t join the cadet scheme and those who joined right out of flight school without any experience are started off from like 32k.

Can those straight out of flight training be on 767 with BA? Would they be able to do non-European routes? I have 3 passports; British (I’m from here and so is mother) Canadian (my father is Québécois, Canadian and I’ve lived there for a while) and US (my second home and I’ve lived there for a while). Also will having French and German language skills be an advantage? Do pilots get flags on their badges of countries which that language originates from?

And finally, as I said the US is my second home. Should I decide to move there; will my flight experience from BA count?

Sorry for all the questions! I just hope you can answer them and give me opinions on my plan!

P.S. I know BA doesn’t have any preferences on degrees. But will a Pharmacy degree be seen as like a really good degree?