PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2003, 10:45
Fokkerwokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fascinating thread! I have felt for some time this particular forum has huge potential for the vintage aircraft scene.

I recall flying in the very late 60's with a Jack Reid(?) in his Gemini at Elstree in the hope of being able to build my multi hours cheaply. Loved flying it but after a teensy weensy groundloop on arrival at Elstree on the first landing he thought better of his offer! Any way it stood me in good stead in years to come for Rapides, Beech 18's and B17's! (Thinks: Must make effort to grovel my way into one again and see if I can get it right this time )

I was also lucky enough to be checked out by Peter Hoare on the Miles Student with the intention of displaying it the following season. Unfortunately the engine cooked after take-off a week later and Peter was lucky to escape the wreckage somewhat damaged but alive. The Student was very underpowered but great fun to fly - even with the screaming banshee above your head! I hope for a sympathetic restoration - if only it could be made to fly again <sigh>.

Best regards to all and a Happy and Safe New Year