PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Be careful when fishing. This one has a big bite.
Old 18th Jul 2012, 06:42
Mr Good Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I can understand that the navy guys might be a bit tense based on the Yemen incident, a certain amount of common sense needs to be applied... or perhaps at least some better training.

For a start the Iranians are not a two-bit terrorist group looking for a quick hit, and although the threat of terrorism exists to a small extent from the odd fanatical fundamentalist group it's unlikely to occur in waters off Jebel Ali.

These poor fisherman are third-world born, possibly uneducated and illiterate and inevitably not as wary of the issues of sailing close to US military vessels. Although the US does face a small threat from some radical fundamentalist groups in the Gulf it is unlikely to happen off the coast of Jebel Ali, as most of the groups sponsors probably have financial interests in Dubai that they would not want to be harmed.

And as for Iran, they're a country with a military with big ambitions... hardly likely they'd want to enhance their reputation by ramming a Warship with a fishing boat terrorist-style. That would just be embarrassing.

My big worry now with this new-found paranioa is that we could face another incident like the 1989 Iran Air one, where simple common sense and proper procedures could prevented the deaths of hundreds of innocent Joe's like you and me just going about our daily business...