PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hughes Tailspin
Thread: Hughes Tailspin
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2003, 10:19
Nick Lappos

Shawn may be technically correct in that LTE "can happen to any helicopter" but in fact, it does not. If the helicopter is designed right, the probability of incurring LTE is nil. LTE is actually a misnomer, the tail rotor never looses effectiveness in LTE accidents, it is merely too small to do the job when it is swamped by events. The poorer the tail rotor, the more easily those events can be arranged.

Only some helos regularly experience LTE, and those are demonstrably poor in anti-torque control margin. LTE is actually been eliminated by modern military design rules that require more powerful tail rotor designs by specifying more rigerous yaw maneuver capabilities. Unfortunately, the civil regulatory folks have actually allowed LTE to continue in new designs by blaming pilots for LTE, and by allowing explanations such as these to stand in the place of a demand for proper yaw control capability.

The award that was mentioned above for the team that promulgated the training words about LTE was also un-earned (in my opinion) because that same group fought any improvements in yaw control regulations, thus assuring LTE would be around for years more in newly approved helicopters. In fact, there are newly approved helos that have no yaw control power when loaded fully. Beware of those machines that are approved for " Cat B, 9 passengers or less," and that require the wind to be only from the nose during hover. Those are code words for helicopters whose tail rotors are so poor that no yaw capability exists, and LTE is one inch away.

I actually fought a move to include the LTE words in ALL single rotor helicopter flight manuals, because we saw the real handwriting on the wall, where if we allow the blame to be placed on the pilot, we don't have to worry about fixing the aircraft. See my above post for the actual statistics on LTE. LTE is not a pervasive single rotor helicopter problem, LTE can be cured by modern design rules, and LTE is not something we as pilots must accept forever.