PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 22:44
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost Benefit Analyses

Lonewolf50
Well, that's why those folks in suits are paid.

I have a few ed thoughts on what I think of MBA's who aren't pilots running airlines ... but that does not belong in this thread.

AF447 has to me shown that Air France (and perhaps a good portion of the industry?) does not make the points I allude to above a priority. (I may be overstating this, or may simply be wrong.) Maybe the idea I have would be that they have a system in place that doesn't achieve that end even if that were its intention.

Result: a crew unable to fly and CRM its way through a malfunction, with fatal results. From the CVR excerpts released, I get the impression of a crew that were trying and trying to get the situation under control, but they were trying the wrong things to resolve their malfunction. (And one could argue that the "how" of their trying, as a crew, was not what we have come to expect).
I have known some of the 'suits' that you refer to. I am willing to bet that some of them will have calculated that there is no cost benefit in more pilot training in manual handling at cruise level unless there are more than 1 crash per [name a period of time - say 8 years]. This doesn't match with the professed our first priority is safety - but they are 'behind the curtain' of the organization.