PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of heights?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 20:22
Shenanigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this is relevant, but when my instructor informed me I was ready to solo, I thought he must have me confused with someone else. But, being that i was kind of dumb, and I thought saying no was like crying uncle I just strapped in and did it. And you know what? I flew great!

Wait, actually I flew just as bad as before and probably parked it 30 degrees nose left after dropping it on the ground at the end shaming my old instructor.

So later on as I told people that I in no way felt ready to do that solo, almost all of them responded with..."me either".

But, it occurred to me later on that what my instructor was thinking. Even though I couldn't do much of anything very well, all I needed to do was not crash it, which is harder than you might think if all your doing is flying from one runway to another. I was really having trouble with landings, and I remember at one point my instructor said "if it's giving you that much trouble just turn the throttle off at hover and then it'll land itself".

By no means am I telling you that you should do your solo if you're not ready, but I'm telling you that if you have some anxiety about doing your solo, you are probably like 95% of the people out there.

Last edited by Shenanigan; 17th Jul 2012 at 20:23.