PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlaw, basic instruction "Hold short of.."
Old 17th Jul 2012, 19:17
sudden Winds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I think the first officer proceeded exactly as per his job description. He made a safety call out. The captain was obviously going to miss the holdshort line. If Van Zanten's copilot had acted as this guy did, Tenerife would have probably been avoided.

A few years ago, I was taxiing out to a rwy and had been instructed to hold short. The twy rides parallel to the rwy as usual, and then it's a right turn at a 135 deg angle into the rwy. It was a night op. That airplane didn´t have taxi lt. I was looking for the hold short line a couple hundred feet ahead of the nose of the airplnae, when it was actually right in front of me. My first officer realized I was going to go right past it and very calmly said ¨alright here's the line". I applied brakes, ended up with a few meters of aluminium inside the line, but plenty of distance from the actual rwy, and said thank you.

Arrogance is an enemy of safe aviation. Don´t let any insecure captain(s) keep you from doing your job (and helping him keep his).

Rgds.
sw.