PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 19:08
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@slats11.....

"OK. Assuming they are talking about increasing cockpit temp rather than outside, I guess the possibilities include:
1. Increased heat production within cockpit. Unlikely.
2. Increased transfer of heat into cockpit. Increased outside temp and lag in climate control adjusting for this would be one cause, but there are others..
3. Decreased transfer of heat out of cockpit.
4. Loss of (or decreased ) air flow around the pilots leading to decreased evaporative cooling. This would only cause an perception of increased temperature rather than a true increase in temperature."

Could I add...

5. Loss of dedicated cooling to the avionics.

A lot of stacks of heat producing equipment. If I was a smartie, I might exhaust the heated cooling air from the avionics bay into the cockpit environment?

Might that explain the smell?

Might be easy to check, it could be entirely off base... If a fan motor went tu, could it produce the noise referenced by BEA as "increased cockpit noise" (unidentified)?

BWV988

02:10:51 AoA=6 deg, stall warning triggered
02:10:53 AoA=7.5 deg, buffet onset
02:10:57 AoA=10 deg, deterrent level of buffet reached
With severe buffet at 02:10:57, the Captain would have felt it too. He must also have noticed an unusual, continued climb >1/2 min before that.

So why didn't he return to the flight deck earlier than 2:11:40, and should he even need a briefing from PNF to connect those dots?

Long ago, I reminded myself that a return up the aisle to his (Captain Dubois) office would be seriously "uphill"... Quite a climb actually...About four times as steep as he may have "expected". He walked into three seconds of STALL WARN, so combined with the uphill climb and the chirp of STALL: "hey knucklehead, get the nose down, you looking for a swim?"

At this point, and due to Autotrim, if he continued to use Approach to Stall recovery method, he would merely "relax" back pressure, not actively lower the nose, and the THS would prevent the nose from dropping, further confusing the frustrated recovery... If there was one.

Last edited by Lyman; 17th Jul 2012 at 19:27.