PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 18:00
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Silvercraft SH-4

Silvercraft SH-4 ZS-HDR taken at Grand Central Airport, South Africa, on 31st August 1973 (Photo: Steve Aubury)

Steve Aubury has kindly contributed the above photograph and asked me to do a little write-up on it and which of course I am pleased to do.

Quite how Steve's specific Silvercraft (cn. 20) got to South Africa I don't actually know. What I can say is that according to Italian records, cn. 20 was sold in 1972 to Slot Aviation of South Africa. As Steve informed me in his mail, this craft crashed on 27th June 1974 and the record states that she was at that time owned by Astaa Helicopters with the accident occurring at a place called 'Marble Hall' in the Transvaal. Beyond that I don't have much more .. so those with any further awareness of ZS-HDR and her history are welcome to supplement this meagre offering.

Regarding the SH-4 in general; this was a joint venture between a new Italian company 'Silvercraft' (formed in Milan in 1962 and about which I know very little) and an existing Italian aircraft manufacturer Siai-Marchetti (about which I know a little more).

Under the guidance of Emilio Bianchi the SH-4 (originally designated as simply 'XY') was designed as 3 seater piston aircraft (basically an Italian take on the Bell 47). The first test flight of the XY took place in October 1963. The SH-4 (as it was to become) was of all-metal construction, incorporated a semi-rigid rotor, a corrugated tailboom and was powered by a 235shp Franklin 6A-350-D engine.

Five prototypes were built of which I-SILX (cn. 01) made its maiden flight at Vergiate in March 1965 with Dario Pavan at the controls. With the aid of Fiat Aviazione Motori (who manufactured mechanical parts for the rotor transmission) a production batch of 50 SH-4s was planned at Sesto Calende in Varese, Northern Italy, (actually at the northern end of Lake Maggiore).

Silvercraft began deliveries in 1970 but the ran into difficulties which were related to the Franklin engine (now out of production) and, as a result, only 21 SH-4's were produced with individual examples being exported to Brazil, South Africa, France and Holland and two aircraft being delivered to the Italian Air Force. Production ceased in 1977.

The SH-4 was certificated by the RAI and FAA in September 1968, being the first helicopter of all-Italian design and construction to receive both Italian and US certification.

SH-4 I-RAIX at an unknown location but quite possibly Le Bourget (Photo: Henk Wadman)

The Silvercraft's panel (Photo: Damiano Gualdoni)

The SH-4 during crop-spraying trials in Northern Italy (Photo: Silvercraft Archives)

~ ~ ~

Seeing as this is a photographer-induced post I thought I would mention something about Albert Gilmour who contributed the delightful photo of the RAF Whirlwind at Cullercoats on the previous page.

In his email to me Albert wrote: "I am now 89 and just getting into this internet business and which I find great fun. Before my retirement I was a steam then diesel locomotive driver. One of my hobbies was painting in oil, mainly industrial subjects, trains also of course. I am very glad to be able to contribute my Whirlwind photo."

Albert Gilmour during his locomotive driving and oil painting days

Some photos of Albert Gilmour and his locomotives can be seen here.