PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extra 300 Aerobatics Training in Florida
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 15:07
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 2008 I was doing my FAA IR at St Augustine so I went over the other side of the airfield one day to fly the Extra 300 with South East Aero, not sure if he is still there but at the time there was a guy called Dave Kicklighter who was an FAA CFI and gave me an aeros lesson in the Extra. I just did the one flight but I could have done a lot more. As an earlier post said if you are near St Augustine give South East Aero a call and they will either give you some training or point you in the right direction...

As far as the aircraft is concerned, DO fly the Extra, I had some aeros experience on usual types like Firefly, Bulldog, Grob 115E etc, obviously the Extra is a huge step up from those but it is still any easy plane to fly that will do aeros at whatever pace you want to do them...unlimted stuff or just lazy loops and barrel rolls...it doesn't matter...

After having flown it I still felt able to enjoy the smaller less powerful types...one just has to remember to manage speed/energy a bit more because obviously the Extra has a very high power to weight ratio compared to most types.

I mean perhaps if you have never done aeros before I'd suggest doing some in a less powerful aircraft first just so that the point about energy management is properly learnt but if you want to fly an Extra go fly one I'd say...

Last edited by Contacttower; 17th Jul 2012 at 15:08.