PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 03:03
slats11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rockhound, I have absolutely no idea what the significance of the cockpit temperature is. I am asking a question, not posing an explanation. Likewise I don't know what the PNF turned to maximum just before. He denied he had touched the A/C, so maybe the radar range (they were discussing a possible deviation to the left at the time).

All I am saying is that it may possibly be of significance. Out of the blue. In the middle of an 11 hour flight. Just one minute before other problems quickly unfold.

Obviously the PNF can't explain what he can't understand. But I would like to think he could have given the Captain a reasonably coherent account of the events that had transpired.

The Captain seemed very slow to act. Given he had only left the cockpit 11 minutes earlier, it is unlikely he had been asleep and was suffering from sleep inertia. So why?

Well in fairness, what was he expected to make of the following?

What’s happening? I don’t know I don’t know what’s happening
We’re losing control of the aeroplane there
We lost all control of the aeroplane we don’t understand anything we’ve tried everything
A quick explanation that the autopilot dropped out and they climbed and then entered a stall may have been sufficient to give the Captain the required situational awareness.

Although we don't have the audio, it is likely that PF and PNF were somewhat agitated (or more) when the Captain returned. Lack of clear handover. And then confusion, lack of assertiveness, and likely increased agitation.