PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 02:05
Rockhound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What possible significance is the temperature in the cockpit?
Why was there not a proper handover to the captain when he returned to the cockpit?
When he entered, he asked "What are you doing?" The PNF (in the LHS), the much more experienced of the two copilots, responded: "What's happening? I don't know...I don't know what's happening". The captain didn't even resume his place in the LHS where he could assume control, he got into the jump seat behind the console. Ten seconds later, six stall warnings sounded in the space of four seconds. No reaction from any of the three pilots. Seventeen seconds on, at FL250+, the PNF asks: "What do you think? What should we do?". The captain replies, "I don't know. It's going down". He's been on the flight deck a full minute, during which time neither of the two copilots has been able to explain what's been happening, yet he makes no effort to assume control.
In his book Erreurs de Pilotage 5, Otelli points out that STALL was verbally annunciated 75 times, taking up a total time of 54 seconds; the stall itself lasted 4 minutes and 24 seconds.