PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2012, 23:05
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Training and "feel"

@ Cland..... my comment to Doze was a "barb" about the almost perfect flight control laws and reversion sequences, especially WRT to stall warning/avoidance. And with respect to energy required to overspeed at the limits of the envelope, I stand my ground. With even a "limit" of "x" gees above gee=one, kinetic energy is enough to do exactly what the dweeb did - pull and pull to the limits and run outta energy while transitting the stall protection limits, then get to new territory. pushing forward would have equally bad outcomes if the "overspeed" "protections" ( how I hate that term) are FUBAR due to invalid speed inputs to HAL.

Thanks, Wolf, for the IFR training comments. I followed the same procedure for many years when dual, and when in a chase plane for the single-seaters I watched and talked a lot on the inter-flight radio. In the Viper, we were in a back seat and the control stick did not move or reflect what Joebaggodunuts was doing up front. So watch the gauges and feel the jet, then take over if things are going to hell.

Back to Cland..... From the CVR fidelity ( could detect switch changes) and the comments by the troops, doesn't sound as if the AB330 has pronounced buffet in the stall regime. On the other hand, the older designs many of us flew from the 60's and on had distinct pre-stall indications. In my case, we had vastly larger margins from stall-onset to actual stall, as well as immensely larger speed margins before reaching VNe.

An example presented was to have a shaker or pusher when the jet had no clear pre-stall buffet or warning. So I flew the VooDoo, which fit the description when supersonic. But sub-sonic, the thing shook and wobbled and such that only a hamburger would have pulled harder. You could also feel "stick lightening" ( also feel it supersonic, but no buffet). I will bet a hundred bucks I could fly with you in a pre-AB330 heavy and show you the buffet or buzz indicating an approach to a stall.

I read the CVR again, and the experienced pilot is telling the other guy to stop climbing and to be "gentle". After a minute of fruitless talk, he calls for the aircraft commander. All the while the stall warning doofer is going off. I never wished to fly a "crewed jet", and what we saw in AF447 confirmed my fears. " I got it, no, you got it........" Least in the Viper we could completely cut out the student's stick very easily.

Thanks to JC for reviewing the CVR comments for first minute or so.