PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skills test: was frustrations, now PASSED.
Old 16th Jul 2012, 22:13
RyanRs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in the same kind of predicament as you Ds3, im 40 hours up, changed schools after 35 hours from Rochester to Headcorn due to my instructor leaving and 'other reasons' that has left me slightly unimpressed with my previous school, so lost a good 4 hours getting acquainted with my new instructor and the airfield procedures etc- basically convincing the guy im as good as the training paperwork says i am!
Anyway, i have cancelled my QXC four times now over the past two months due to weather / aircraft availability, i finally got a slot last thurs so flew down to lydd for x-wind practise. It went well but given the 7 weeks away from being in an aircraft, my confidence was lacking and given the choice of doing my QXC that day i would have probably turned it down. Now im worried it will be another 7 weeks before i get a slot again and ill just be doing another trip to lydd for yet more practise! The Olympics airspace restrictions is likely to cock things up further now too as the school is still undecided on whether to allow students to fly solo QXC's so close to the boundaries encase something goes wrong.
I think if i was you, i would just pick a decent airfield where your guaranteed a CFI and aircraft type and a solid runway! so the only thing left is the weather.

Lenhamlad -how did you find the skills test after the 6 week gap? was you worried about being rusty? did you find the skills test easier or harder than you expected? and who was your CFI?