PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA IR Fiasco
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2012, 20:19
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked this thread up gents,

If you are going down the legal route, you may also want to look into the fact that some idiot(s), quite probably plural and I am being kind, when constructing EU Regulation 1178/2011 for EASA Part-FCL, together with the AMC/GM and subsequently CAP 804 appears to have totally omitted any process for converting an ICAO IR into an EASA Part-FCL IR. I cannot believe for one second this is by accident.

The old CPL process has been somewhat modified in that an applicant for converting an ICAO CPL into its EASA equivalent must now attend an Approved Training Organisation and be assessed; the ATO must then forward a recommendation of training to the CAA who must rubber-stamp it with their own approval before the training can go ahead......mmm, I wonder whether there will be a further contribution required to the CAA Staff Final Salary Scheme Pension Fund, err, sorry I mean a charge.

However, there is no similar IR process in place and any credits available from holding a non-EASA ICAO IR can, according to the CAA, only be applied to an integrated CPL/IR course and not any modular IR. In short, the full IR course must be taken, less any credits for holding an EASA Part-FCL CPL, with its impending cost.

Appendix 6 to Part-FCL (Modular IR course) has no conversion process outlined within, neither has Part Q.

There is a validation process which permits the holder of an ICAO ATPL or CPL/IR to fly on Commercial Air Transport ops for one year only, with a single extension of one further year, provided that the person can demonstrate that they have commenced a course of study towards the theoretical knowledge requirements for licence conversion.

However, the old 15 hour IR conversion requirement has simply vanished into thin air, without a 'by-your-leave'.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I thought it better that anyone who is holding an ICAO CPL/IR only should be aware of the full story and not be thinking it's a case of doing the theory exams only.

But hey, more good news, I've lost my CPL altogether thanks to EASA!

Great, innit?

Last edited by 2close; 16th Jul 2012 at 20:21.