PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2012, 20:12
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
jc, just to let you know:

When I used to teach instruments, and I gave a flight student a correction, I rarely if ever "rode" the controls, unless the student was badly over controlling.

What I did do, however -- and I suspect that the PNF something similar -- was that after I gave a corrective input to the flight student, I watched the flight instruments to see if he put the correction in or not.

In the fleet, I took that same approach when I was a C/P flying with a pilot who was having trouble while flying instruments. I'd make an oral input and watch the instruments to see if he complied with my suggested correction. A number of my copilots did the same for me, and one talked me out of a slight case of the leans.

(Granted, at night near a the deck of a ship, however, I did tend to guard the controls when the other pilot was flying just in case my call for "power" went unheeded, in which case I'd make the input).

Put another way, I'd say that your line on "watching" the controls may not fit with the primary concern that pilots focus on to see if their suggested correction is acted upon or not.

He migh guard the controls, or ride them. Depends.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 16th Jul 2012 at 20:16.