PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2003, 22:58
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Philip W

I have seen the Magazine thank you. I have a copy.

Pity David didn't contact me beforehand - I would have been pleased to fly with him in my Maggie.

For you purists out there, my aircraft as V1075 and one of the last, didn't actually wear its lovely yellow paint scheme, with polished cowling, spats et al.

However, during one of many crashes the fuselage was replaced with an earlier one.

An amusing entry in the logbook in the 50's (its late so I will look it up another time) says something like, 'compasses swung, altimetres checked/ recalibrated, fuselage tailplane fin and rudder replaced with serviceable items' !!!!

Research reveals this fuz to have been from N3788, a 1938 machine.

I think you will agree that the identity of an aircraft relates to the fuselage so I am puzzled as to why PF wasn't painted in the earlier markings.

This does effectively give total authenticity to the yellow scheme.

Better to change it than to get the olive drab roller out and rip the spats off???

Just kidding.....

Anybody out there got any undercarriage parts for the Maggie?

Mine has had a PFA-approved mod to replace the original Airdraulic internals with rubber-blocks in suspension.

These are a little harsh on the poor old thing, resulting in a severe hammering when I displayed it at Woburn - rough strip or what??!!

Nice to fit the squidgy originals.

Falcon - Feb03 FlyPast is out now. An in-depth feature is planned in the Spring in Air Enthusiast. Lots of wonderful old piccies.

Wonderful to communicate with so many Miles enthusiasts.

Top of my wish-list is a Hawk.

For those who don't know it - imagine a Maggie but with Falcon trousered U/C and tailplane and a more slender fuz - voila and drop dead gorgeous.

Handling on the Maggie is a bit quirky and caught a few young pilots out in the war with often fatal consequences.

I have a copy of a document marked 'Secret' produced by the RAE at Farnborough in response to this problem.

In short, there is a marked pitch-down in the sideslip.

Solution? Don't sideslip it. The flaps are incredible. Another gotcha actually if you get it wrong but, thats another story...

Keep it coming! Wonderful!

HP