PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 16th Jul 2012, 15:10
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji

We are really not that far apart How come we are back onto the chute I thought this thread was about saving me money because of my superior skills compared to the normal rabble Only joking I do not have superior skills

With a twin the second engine is an extra option and with more options come more choices! More choices give you the option to make the wrong choice.

I see the same with the chute capability to pull the chute in all situations is like saying I will climb this aircraft on one engine regardless when it maybe more advisable to pull the live engine back.

Yes you are correct! I am sure I would be embarrassed pulling the chute with the resulting media attention that would occur especially if I came down in an embarrassing place like the middle lane of the M25 on a busy friday evening and landed on top of a school bus

So yes there would be a reluctance of making the ultimate failure gesture by pulling the chute.
It may well be the right descision but bar a wing being sliced of by another aircraft or the pilot dropping dead at the controls many pilots would see pulling the chute as the ultimate failure in them and their abilities.

That is slightly different to the presence of the chute instilling false confidence because in the back of your mind there is always the thought that if I ice up too badly I am not totally lost!

If you fitted high explosives to every corner of every car I am sure motorists would drive around with complete caution knowing that if they hit someone else they were dead.

This level of percieved safety is bound to reduce a pilots caution.
That safety is fine if it is respected and not used to cover up a pilots shortcomings.
We had a thread where one poster suggested the VFR on top was fine as the pilot could always use the autopilot to climb himself on top or descend down.
That to me is a very worrying attitude especially knowing how unreliable some autopilots can be.

All these safety advancements are great as long as we treat them with respect and use them as an addition to our skills not to cover up a lack of skills

Pace