PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 16th Jul 2012, 13:35
Crystalmad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cirrus again

It is interesting that every time someone posts a message about Cirrus there is a huge amount of correspondence, often very much misinformed. Let me make a few points based on many years of experience flying Cirrus's.

1. There is a large difference between flying an SR20 and and SR22. The SR20 has a HP approximately 2/3rds of the SR22. The effect of this is that the SR20 is reasonably docile, although still very sleek in performance. In my view anyone wanting to fly a Cirrus and who is not experienced in flying many different aircraft, would do well to start with an SR20. The only thing to watch is overloading especially on a hot day: otherwise it is a joy to fly and very easy to land. Average true air speed about 135 kts using 9.2 US gals/hour.

2. The SR22 is a faster machine and more powerful, and personally not what I would recommend to a beginner. Average true air speed about 167 kts at 14.8 US galls per hour. Landing can be trickier, although I have learnt that it works best by getting the speed over the number down to about 74-77 kts, and holding off the runway for as long as possible. Any attempt at placing the aircraft onto the runway will tend to cause a bounce.

3. Both aircraft have glass cockpits, of differing complexity. It is really important to be familiar with these before take-off, especially if going into IMC. By the way, both aircraft are extremely good IFR machines: if you let go of the controls it does not drop a wing (like say a Cessna 172) but remains stabilised for a long time, thus making it ideal for changing frequencies, writing down instructions etc. For me the only drawback is that I have to remember to keep looking out the windows rather than stare at the graphics.

4. Now the question of the CAPS. Thus keeps coming up with people on both sides of the argument. Good thing or bad? The thing to remember is that the CAPS is there for a purpose, and unless you have a plan to use it there is little point in having it. The evidence has clearly shown that fatalities rarely occur when the CAPS has been used, but a number of fatalities have happened when pilots have tried to land in fields etc. COPA have regular CPPP (Cirrus Pilots Proficiency Programmes) usually twice a year in Europe. I consider it important to attend at least one of these in order to learn about the aircraft and especially the use of the CAPS. The routine that is now being taught is that after take-off when retracting the flaps you automatically touch the CAPS handle (the theory is that this plants in your mind that it is there to be used) , and you say "flaps, CAPS, speed" as a matter of habit. Furthermore it is recommended that unless one is over an airfield and can make the runway, CAPS should be employed with an engine failure. CAPS has been demonstrated to work even at quite low heights. Members of COPA say "Pull early, pull often!". Most times there is a fatal accident with a Cirrus people ask "why did't he/she use the parachute?"

5. Finally, here is a recommendation. At Poznan (Poland) airport they have installed a full-motion Cirrus simulator at Aero Poznan. You can take a cheap Ryanair (yes I know!) flight to Poznan and get a lot of useful practice in various skills useful for flying a Cirrus. I have tried it and learnt quite a lot. You also get a chance to visit a very nice city! Flew there recently in my SR22: journey time normally 4.5 hours, but because of a strong tailwind did it in 3.5 hours!