PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic call up's
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2012, 10:25
lenhamlad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex Chief Immigration Officer of 20 years standing I applied for a number of roles with G4S. I was interviewed on 9 January by an Indian national here in the UK on a visa and was asked to prove my entitlement to work in the UK, despite me showing him my British passport and my P60 from UK Border Agency. As a result of the shambolic process I wrote to the Olympics Minister, Hugh Robertson who happens to be my constituency MP. I outlined a number of concerns and whilst not expecting a response from him I had hoped that someone in the govt. would at least take on board some of my points.

In April I had an email from G4S asking me why I had not attended two training courses in March. I telephoned and explained that I had not been sent any joining instructions. The person on other end of the phone was adamant that I had been advised but could not find the original email. They then refused to tell my what job was being offered, what duties would entail, length of time of the contract nor what the pay would be. At that point I decided I had had enough and told them to remove me from the selection process.

I feel sorry for those who have just come back from tours abroad and are now being forced to spend the next six weeks rifling through peoples belongings and patting them down. I don't expect there will be anyone of the rank of Major or above being forced to do this.

Finally I heard that MOD police are having to fill in the gaps for the UK Border Agency following several days of training. That is because Theresa May agreed to a cut of 900 immigration staff and now she is reaping what she sowed.