PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Staff Travel for bmi retirees
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2012, 08:15
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a very simple Management issue that has not been addressed correctly. The very reason Unions became established. At the start of my career I held the view that if Management was really good, there would be no need for a Union. The extremely poor management & lack of professional management skill has led to the simple issue under discussion here. Bmi pilots are being "absorbed" and should ease into all benefits on a pro rata basis. Not easy to solve all of the issues but isn't that what we expect from the "Management Team" ?

Staff Travel is a concession & one which can be reviewed and/or removed at any time. Pilots with long service develop an expectation. That expectation should be reviewed and understood by management.

Colleague & dear friend of mine just (forced) into early retirement by GulfAir after 17 years service was dismayed when he lost ALL staff travel entitlement. Cost cutting meant that new rules came into force recognising only, at least 20 years service. The benefit would last for only half of the time served. This from a Company still trading but, clearly, under difficult conditions. My mate made a big noise to everyone he could think of who MIGHT listen. His Staff Travel letter stated "in recognition of your long service" and went on to list the benefits. Someone did listen & to the company's credit, reviewed and re-instated all with 15 years minimum unbroken service. Small concession but a thinking Management.

The wider problem is that as a profession, this is one of the few where after long service, should your employer go bust or get involved in ghastly take-overs, you go to the bottom of the pile & have to start over. Senior Captain one day, junior First Officer the next.

I am just coming up for the infamous swan song & am, quite frankly, glad to be out of it. No, want nothing to do with staff travel or indeed even to look at an airport again. Moving in to a nice Villa in the Med & looking forward to joining the Cruise Liner brigade for the odd getaway. Sub-load,security, miserable, envious ground staff..............bye.