PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 16th Jul 2012, 07:16
Rusty1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"It was Peterc that said the carbon tax had no effect albeit only 16 days, and by way of comparison, I mentioned the climate hasn't changed either.

Do you get it now? Don't you think peterc is a bit silly? and don't you feel your support for him is a bit silly also?

No I guess you don't.

The two, or however many of you there are, are as believable as Ali Hassan al Majid."

It was, and the difference is that the tax began on July 1 so you'd expect to see price impacts fairly quickly. However, businesses offsetting those costs with less carbon intensive processes or equipment will take much longer. And change to the climate (which as I said will take global action) will take much longer. Hence the "has the climate changed in 16 days" was ridiculous and you deserved to be called on it.

As it happens, I've not said whether I agree with the scheme or not. I've just corrected some of the factually wrong assertions in some posts.

But I do like your conspiracy theory about "however many of you there are". Quite a few as it turns out. At last count, 4 in 10 Australians supported a carbon tax. That number rises to 6 in 10 (that'd be a majority) when they have it explained to them in moderate detail. How's that for a conspiracy?

I genuinely don't mind talking about this stuff. I know a bit about it but am no expert, but am happy to debate it. The problem with this thread is it is all vitriol. Nobody wants a genuine debate, they want to sprout dubious "experts" and make patently outlandish claims. ("everything will go up", "why hasn't the climate changed yet'). I applaud PeterC for giving it a go but I do wonder what the point is.

Don't forget though, the Libs/Nats will either 1. Raise taxes (potentially back to PM Howard levels who hold the record as the highest taxing Govt in Aust history) or 2. Cut Services to pay for their scheme (roughly $5bn a year by their own estimates) to do exactly the same thing. So who do you plan to vote for if this bothers you so much? You have to preference one of them ahead of the other no matter who you put first.