PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 16th Jul 2012, 03:23
Rusty1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I got a letter from the Avgas supplier notifying me of a 4.5c/litre price rise due to Carbon Tax, which will probably cost me a hundred bucks a year.

I'm thinking of querying this, as my recollection is that fuel is exempt from the Carbon Tax and I assume it's for carbon emissions during the Avgas refining process, rather than the actual fuel."

Fuel is exempt for households, and for agriculture, fisheries and forestry. Heavy vehicles are exempt for I think 2 years then I suspect it will be reviewed.

I think domestic aviation fuel will be subject to an increase in the excise equivalent to a carbon tax on $23/tonne. I have no idea what this works out to in cpl. So it will rise. I assume most reputable suppliers will be able to say how they arrived at their increase (likely the fuel companies will have decided for them). But if they tell you the cost of getting the fuel trucked to them is included in the rise, at this point they are fibbing.