PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas ripe for Private Equity takeover
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2012, 22:50
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Long haul needs to give Syd-Per return 2 pilot. Syd-Singapore 2 pilot, modify overtime and get rid of things like home transport. Cherry picking the 48 exemption, is the answer. Whilst at it, dismantling the existing bidding seniority will allow better balance and share the workload for all.
I agree. A couple of quick corrections though. We can already so SYD-SIN two man. The reason we don't is either a 30/7 problem (normally for the SIN-SYD leg) or the S/Os are needed in SIN for the northbound service. Alternatively, we could fly four man to somewhere like Dubai and then go two man to Europe. That would save considerable costs also.

PER returns (daylight) have been on the table previously. I'm not sure why they've never come off. My understanding is that they were on the table this time as well. That's gone pretty quiet though so not sure where it's at. PER returns overnight are permissible under the exemption but are dangerous to the point of stupidity. I'm not sure how any objective risk assessment can permit them.

Home transport is an interesting one. I'd be interested in trading it away for something- particularly if that 'something' wasn't a big cost to the company. Not sure what though. Then again, it is handy turning up to work having already read the weather and NOTAMs.

Overtime? Yeah, there are better ways of doing that... I'm just not sure what they are. The hassle is that so many people are addicted to the sweet sugar that is the extra 15-25% (for the heavier fleets) that it's a massive drama to 'fix'. Then again, if the AUD were at 60c to the USD, it wouldn't be the massive problem it is at the moment.