PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 15th Jul 2012, 21:01
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the chute be pulled in a mucho past Vne spiral dive?

Can it be pulled inverted?.

Can it be pulled in a flat spin?

CAn it be pulled in a inverted flat spin?

Can it deal with a full power tail slide?

I haven't really looked at it to be honest but do they provide a deployment envelope?
I am quoting from memory here so stand to be corrected.

The max demonstrated speed is 185 knots, I know of one incident at 235 knots it worked and one at 270 knots it failed.

I do not know if strictly in design criteria but categorically it has worked in real life while the aircraft totally inverted and in various spins.

I do not know what a full power tail slide is so can not comment.

It is also designed to be deployed at 2000ft but has worked at around 400ft, or at least the occupants walked away.

The aim ideally would be to slow down to 135 knots if possible and deploy, but if control lost in a spin then I personally would deploy regardless of speed because at that point I am out of control of the aircraft and hope to avoid ever getting in that situation.

it has never failed yet to save the occupants in a Cirrus when deployed within design criteria.

There have been around 40 ish successful Cirrus outcomes including over water, mountains, built up areas, tress etc.

Eventually there will have to be some that do not work out well and that will skew the success rate on a what is so far a fairly low number.

I do not claim to be any expert on this but with all the facts and history of accidents made available to me plus time in the full motion SIM training on the chute pull I have firmly set my own decisions on what scenarios I would use the chute.