PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2003, 19:20
Cornish Jack

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Treadders et al
Having suffered the 'joys' of flight in the Marathon, I, for one , shed no tears on its demise. Auntie Mary's flying club were inveigled into buying some for use as Nav trainers. Their saving grace was the disposition of the flap and gear levers being such that inadvertent gear retraction instead of flaps was quite possible and lead to the early retirement of more than one.
The design was such that a large quantity of sandbags were required under the pilot's seats to allow an approximation to fuselage level flight - but still VERY nose up. Boarding had to be carried out one at a time, otherwise it sat on its tail.
On one of the two local flying trips from Thorney, I had its asymmetric operation demonstrated (I was going to say 'asymmetric performance' but there was none!) Just two of us on board and with two engines out it went downhill splendidly with just about full rudder AND aileron to keep the wings level!
Not one of Mr Miles better efforts and the only aircraft in which I came very close to being airsick.