PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well - what would YOU do??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2003, 19:02
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 433 Likes on 228 Posts
Now there's a test pilot speaking! Not sure a fuel flowmeter hooked into GPS is necessary, Shawn. Perhaps next time the pilot will simply just refer to that old maxim:

"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$-Poor Pilot Performance!".

If the aircraft was badly affected by the strong westerly he was presumably flying into it on a westerly track. This means at Stoke-on-Trent he would have flown by at least 4 airfields in his not-too-distant past e.g. Nottingham Tollerton, East Midlands, Derby and Tatenhill. These airfields are 42nm, 33nm, 23nm and 20nm to the east of Stoke. All of them have AVGAS.

On the other hand, if he was on a northerly track and unaffected by the strong westerly, he would have passed Wolverhampton (32nm), Cosford (25nm), Shawbury (21nm) and Ternhill (14nm).

Shame he didn't check his progress and fuel gauge a little more often, perhaps he will next time though. :o

Placed in the situation he had got himself into, I would have carried out a controlled and powered landing at a time of my choice in a nice field of my choice rather than risk a sudden engine-off in one that wasn't so nice...

Just in case anyone thinks I'm being "holier than thou". Been there, seen it, done it. By night, too!

Last edited by ShyTorque; 2nd Jan 2003 at 23:55.