PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police involvement in RAF Air Accidents
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2012, 13:51
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Keithl:
Chug appeared to be trying to persuade me and then immediately alienated me.
Certainly not what I intended, it was aimed at others who have shown that they will never be persuaded no matter how compelling the facts. I see now that it was open to other interpretation and unreservedly apologise for any slight taken by you. These matters come with much baggage and I seemed to have spilled some of it. Mea Culpa!
Apologies also for my not responding earlier. I have just returned from an RAF reunion, and my head is doing penance as a result, so I'll cut it short if I may. Fortunately I see that tuc has stepped into the breach with his customary effectiveness and hopefully answered any outstanding issues.

Glojo, you beg us to leave the Mull tragedy in peace, and the families with it. I take the point to heart, believe me. Every fatal accident reviewed on PPRuNe leaves bereaved loved ones and saddened colleagues in its wake. Every call like yours to shut down a thread, or at least many aspects of it, on behalf of the families is a real dilemma, for it is only by posting here to challenge the issues raised by, for example; the Mull BoI, the Reviewing Officers' Finding, the 17 year long campaign to clear the pilots, the issues of unairworthiness, the improper RTS that came to light as a result of that campaign, and the problems raised by the MAA and MAAIB as presently constituted, that they can be examined openly in debate.
The problem would have been insurmountable if it were not for the brave and resolute involvement of the families in all these debates and campaigns. The Hercules, Nimrod, and Chinook accidents have all produced inputs with the highest moral authority of all, ie from the bereaved. They are not driven by vengeful desires for retribution, nor of greed for compensation (as has been alleged in these pages) but the simple desire to avoid the pain that they have suffered being visited on others by future avoidable air accidents. I have repeatedly been in awe at both their determination that this be so and of their grappling with technical minutiae that often confound supposed professionals.
You mention Mull, so let me illustrate what I mean by recommending that you read this book (it can be read on a PC if you do not have a Kindle) by Susan Phoenix, widow of one of the passengers who died. The book is a tribute to the man she loves, but she has added an extra chapter at the end which is very appropriate in illustrating my point about determination and technical minutiae:
Phoenix, Policing the Shadows with 2012 Bonus Chapter eBook: Jack Holland, Susan Phoenix: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store Phoenix, Policing the Shadows with 2012 Bonus Chapter eBook: Jack Holland, Susan Phoenix: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
No doubt I shall be accused of drumming up trade for her. It is only £3.43, and entirely up to people to buy and download or not as they wish. I only profer it in rebuttal of your plea that discussion, with a view to accident prevention, is not wanted by the families.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 15th Jul 2012 at 14:12.