PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas ripe for Private Equity takeover
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2012, 13:40
moa999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheThe,
Suggest you look at the books a bit further.

QF Int v QF Dom v JQ etc.
You have quoted EBIT figures and are comparing them to pax, ASKs this is totally misleading... Why...
For a leased plane the "operating lease" is an expense and hence is already deducted before you get to EBIT.
For an owned plane (or at least debt funded), only the depreciation is deducted, the interest "the I" part is not.
As far as I am aware JQ Int and Dom run predominately leased fleet so their EBIT on any metrics will always be at a comparative disadvantage to a carrier with a decent percentage of owned jets (ie QF Int and Dom)

Because of the fact that Jetstar and its offshoots leases almost everything the equity, or cash contributed is very low... I suspect Jetstar (in all its guises) return (profit not EBIT) on investment is far superior.

The AirAsia chart is very telling (is Jetstar the dot not marked??)
Also see if you can find a prospectus for Cebu Pacific (Philippines) - even lower again.

Jetstar Pacific - Qantas only owns 30%, has limited control so doesn't report/ consolidate. That said I am not aware of any further equity injections here so it is not loss making - As it is with only 6 narrowbodies it is small in the scheme of things.

Last edited by moa999; 15th Jul 2012 at 13:45.