PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hughes Tailspin
Thread: Hughes Tailspin
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2003, 17:32
Shawn Coyle

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We live in an imperfect world.
Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness is one of those imperfect things. It can happen in just about any helicopter if the conditions are right. The Gazelle had it, and the UK military had plenty of examples of it happening. I know, as I was at Boscombe Down when the first reported loss due to this happened. It has been widely reported on the OH-58/206 series - in fact Bell Helicopter deserves tons of thanks from the helo community for delving into the problem - one of their test pilots won the Test Pilot of the Year award for this work.
Aerodynamics at the tail rotor are very complex, and have more variables than we probably know.
I've had LTE in a couple of strange places, but at least had been prepared for something like this and could fly away.
Like everything else- preparation and a prior plan will keep you out of trouble in the long run.
High power settings, or large power changes, wind not right on the nose, slow to put in a pedal input are all things that contribute. My recommendation is to always turn left (if you have to do turns at slow speed) in CCW main rotor helicopters - this means if you're doing photowork, put the photographer in the left side; make sure you always approach into wind, and know what to do if you get the loss of tail rotor effectiveness. The consistent advice seems to be add full left pedal, forward cyclic and get airspeed across the vertical stab.
For what it's worth.