PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor shortage?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2012, 10:30
porridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The IFR hours conundrum

As far I am aware and as it was pointed out during the Instructor Seminar that to get an an instructor rating that entitles you to teach IR you must have logged 200 hours as pilot under IFR rules under the new EASA rules that I believe come into effect on the 17th of July. So it is not with sole reference to instruments, so as I see it CTC would assume a candidate would have an IR/CPL so will already have 50 hours from the training aspect for the license.
However, this still leaves the situation that if you have 150 hours flight under IFR (presumably on an IFR flight plan) logged time you will already have a job and will not want to become and instructor or are already one thus obviating the need for sponsorship. Catch 22 of course!
As for flight by sole reference to instruments and as a IR instructor of long standing I have only managed to log around 170 hours on actual, whereas all the training flights were IFR Flight planned.
Have you seen that to become a Multi-Engine CRI you now need 200 hours on MEP in command instead of the previous 30?!