PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skills test: was frustrations, now PASSED.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 10:24
Ds3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skills test: was frustrations, now PASSED.

So I've been ready to take my skills test for a number of weeks now - all exams, qxc etc done a long time ago, instructor more than happy that I'm ready, but due to various delays it hasn't happened, and doesn't look like it's going to for a while. My club operates from a grass strip and with the amount of rain we've had recently, even when the sun is out the strip has been too water logged to fly off, with today being a perfect example. Add to that a shortage of instructors, a busy CFI, and lots of bookings, and even getting a slot to do any flying is proving hard enough.

My last two test slots were cancelled due to weather, and the CFI now isn't free for a couple of weeks. Should that slot be cancelled, no doubt it will be another couple of weeks to the next slot. I can't even get up in the air to do any revision at the moment, and it's getting really frustrating. I appreciate the various operational challenges the club has, but from a selfish point of view I just want to get this done now, I'm wasting time and money hanging around in limbo when realistically I should be making good use of my new license by now.

So what alternatives do I have? There's a couple of other clubs locally with hard runways, even one where my instructor works on the days he's not at my main club. Assuming CFI availability, is it feasible in any way to go and take my skills test at an alterative club. If so, what needs to happen to facilitate this? One of the problems will be the fact that I've learnt in a Robin, whilst all other clubs locally operate the standard Cessnas, however funding and my availability are not an issue. Any advice appreciated please!

Last edited by Ds3; 26th Jul 2012 at 07:50.