PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sultan of Oman VC10 at Weybridge/Brooklands
Old 15th Jul 2012, 09:26
Jhieminga

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ICM
...complete with a picture of Dick King and Dave Parsons, who delivered the aircraft, on that very flight deck.

Here you go, photo by J. Downey, taken on 29th June 2012.

As for the runway length at Brooklands, the same quote states a ground run of 2550 feet so if you plant the maingear on the first few yards of the paved surface you've got more room to spare, and that is what was probably done when VC10s landed at Brooklands. I've seen two photos of VC10s (not A4O-AB) on approach to Brooklands and on both they are skimming the grass just short of the threshold. For A4O-AB two white lines where painted on the runway as a touchdown aiming point and meticulous calculations were done to make sure that it would work.

Also that 2550 feet was from the very first landing of G-ARTA at Wisley. As the test pilots became more accustomed to the VC10 I'm sure that they managed to produce shorter landing distances as well. When A4O-AB landed at Brooklands in 1987 it had used approximately 75-80% of the runway before coming to a standstill (that is my guess from looking at the video and photos).

Last edited by Jhieminga; 15th Jul 2012 at 09:36.