PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 15th Jul 2012, 09:23
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
007you have just confirmed my suspicions that you think a total Glass display failure in weather close to the CAT1 minimums is likely to be best handled by using the chute, What is wrong with flying a PAR down to CAT 1? If I fly IFR in a single I always have a hand held VHF radio to enable me to recover the aircraft with a total electrical failure to an airfield with PAR in CAT 1 Weather........
A&C Credit to you if you are capable of that safely , I am not and probably never will be.

If the glass fails, not a big deal there and 2 x GNS430's that I would be ok to fly an ILS but I personally would not be comfortable down to minimums in that scenario and would endeavour if possible to divert somewhere if possible with better conditions.

I am comfortable in IMC but prefer a bigger margin of error than minimums and set my own personal go / no go decisions based on being an average Joe.

The chances of all systems failing unexpectedly is remote but it could happen.

You carry your VHF handheld, I carry a fully charged Garmin 695 in the event of total failure plus an ICOM handheld.

Each to there own and in really heavy IMC and total all out electrical failure and doing a landing to minimums I would certainly weigh everything in the time and circumstances available and consider the chute may be my safest option of survival so that certainly confirms your suspicions