PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it me... or the UK ATC system?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2012, 07:27
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Be careful Mutt, you're admitting you didn't self brief that Farnborough is situated in class G airspace (well at the time of writing it's actually Temporary Restricted Airspace or RA(T), becoming temporary class D controlled airspace or CAS(T) tomorrow until 15 Aug) nor did you self brief on UK Air Traffic Services Outside Controlled Airspace (ATSOCA).
By relying on Jeppesen, you and your company are not alone in making a fundamental mistake as Jeppesen are NOT regulated either by ICAO or by any national aviation authority thus you are placing total reliance on a company which claims to regulate itself as regards aeronautical information.
The UK AIP which Jeppesen are supposed to replicate for you guys is freely available on the internet (UMCC) and I would recommend all crews paying a first visit to the UK cross - check their Jeppesen info with this; you'll find some amazing omissions by Jeppesen plus the software supplied by them for your FMS may not tell you the 'whole story'. The arrival fix for Farnborough called ODIMI for instance (now replaced by ROVUS) was not present in many versions of FMS software supplied by Jeppesen and I spent many hours when I worked in ATC at Farnborough trying to get them to include it; they would blame Honeywell and Honeywell simply said they didn't know what was wrong.