PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic call up's
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2012, 05:17
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winco,

Follow me through old chap. I sadly didn't slip the surly bonds today but a long drive gave a bit of time for reflection. The more I reflected, the angrier I got. So if you'll forgive me we don't 100% agree but we're almost there.

Here's my thinking:

We agree we are the back stop, that in MACA we're the last resort. I notice that the government has not called up the junior doctors, or the fire brigade, or the civil service. It has called on the military. The loyal gun dog that takes kick after kick but still turns up to the peg when the chips are down.

And that got me thinking. I actually have nothing against chaps on olympic duty being given tickets etc, or something so their family could have a nice day out or similar.

But what of the real heroes. 'Our brothers down range' as the US would have it? What about their families? What about my family? Should they not get a spare olympic ticket, not because I got called up, but rather because I was doing something important so couldn't be.

And here's the real issue here. This has demonstrated to me in glorious technicolour, that we are special. That is to say we operate to different rules, mindsets, expectations and responsibilities to everyone else. And then I became really angry. Because it is exactly for reasons such as these that our farking pensions aren't the same as those of other public sector workers. This is why our pay shouldn't have been frozen; because we're different. Because when it matters they turn to us, and when they turn to us, we turn up with the goods.

Fly safe everyone. Orca.

Last edited by orca; 15th Jul 2012 at 05:48.