PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the most outrageous thing you've done with an aeroplane?
Old 2nd Jan 2003, 16:33
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbulent

I remember sunbathing at Rochester in the 1970's in just my shorts and sunglasses - scorching day - and being offered a go in G-ASTA, a 1959 Turdbulent (it was a right dog then but happily saw it at a later PFA Rally in splendid condition).

Without further ado I flew to Headcorn, climbed out of this titchy little plane (I am a big bloke) amongst the flying suited. badged- up brigade and realised that I had been deafened by the blattering of the exhausts.

I went off to the toilet - all I could hear was ringing - and looked a right silly sight in the mirror - hair (I used to have some then...) blasted back and polka-dotted with bugs all over the upper bod. A lot of me had been out in the slipstream!

I then walked back out, toilet paper sticking out of my ears and set off back.

It was really good fun - I remember leaning backwards and forwards on the seat to climb and descend and sticking my arms out a la pedal-bike signalling to turn.

It was a bit breezy too so I climbed up to 4000ft, throttled back and flew all the way across Maidstone again only this time Idid it backwards!

I am a lot more sensible now - honest!

HP