PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 15th Jul 2012, 02:16
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peterc005, I am quite convinced that despite any amount of evidence you probably won't change your mind on this subject...

I would like to remind you that while small price changes at the bowser may not bother you personally very much it is certainly a cost worth considering for bigger players in the industry. May I remind you of this quote that I have quoted previously from the AA magazine May edition this year. In the article by Michael Bridge and Jim Davis looking at regional aviation: "The annual cost to RAAA members of the carbon tax, being imposed through an increase in the levy on aviation fuels, is estimated at over $20 million a year but it will bring no efficiency gains or reduction in emissions. Private motor vehicles, our competition on shorter routes, are exempt. Trucks, meanwhile, are exempt until 2014. But there was no exemption for regional air services. Why not?" (emphasis supplied) - You cannot say that the carbon tax is a non-event. It is both untrue and unfair on those who are bearing the burden while others (maybe yourself?) benefit from the distribution of wealth with NO DEMONSTRABLE ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFIT.

They are a bit old, but here are a couple of other interesting tidbits for fire fuel... Note how in this NASA study they have found problems with the climate models - ie. the climate models are far from empirical fact:

"NASA Study: Global Warming Alarmists Wrong

Thursday, 28 Jul 2011 02:23 PM
By Sylvia Hubbard
NASA has released a new study that may prove global-warming alarmists have been wrong all along.

Data from NASA's Terra satellite covering the period 2000 through 2011 shows that when the earth's climate heats up, the atmosphere appears to be better able to channel the heat to outer space.

The satellite data call into question the computer models favored by global warming believers and may put to rest controversy over the discrepancy between the computer models and actual meteorological readings.

Co-author of the study, Dr. Roy Spencer of the University of Alabama's Earth System Science Center, said in a press release, "The satellite observations suggest there is much more energy lost to space during and after warming than the climate models show. There is a huge discrepancy between the data and the forecasts that is especially big over the oceans."

In an Op-Ed in Forbes, senior fellow for environment policy at The Heartland Institute James M. Taylor, said, "In short, the central premise of alarmist global warming theory is that carbon dioxide emissions should be directly and indirectly trapping a certain amount of heat in the earth's atmosphere and preventing it from escaping into space.

"Real-world measurements, however, show far less heat is being trapped in the earth's atmosphere than the alarmist computer models predict, and far more heat is escaping into space that the alarmist computer models predict."

The new research further shows that not only is more energy released to space than had been theorized, but also that the energy is released at an earlier point in a cycle of warming than previously documented.

In fact, the new data reveal, energy is discharged beginning at a point about three months before a cycle peaks. "At the peak," Spencer said, "satellites show energy being lost while climate models show energy still being gained."

The research was published in the journal Remote Sensing.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved."

And this non-technical rebuff from Professor Ian Plimer:

"Professor Ian Plimer (a member of the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Adelaide. He is also a joint member of the School of Civil, Environmental and Mining Engineering) could not have said it better!
If you've read his book you will agree, this is a good summary.
Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet, all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress, that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cents light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs...well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire YEARS on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year, think about it.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus ''human-caused'' climate change scenario.

Hey, isn't it interesting how they don't mention ''Global Warming'' any more, but just ''Climate Change'' - you know why? It's because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme (that whopping new tax) imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won't stop any volcanoes from erupting, that's for sure.

But hey, relax, give the world a hug and have a nice day!

PS: I wonder if Iceland is buying carbon offsets?"

Peterc005, I hope you have a plan for dealing with the volcanoes - they certainly are more of a problem than your 200 hours a year of pleasure flying when it comes to environmental impact... But oh, that's right! So long as you are paying a carbon tax that completely offsets your 200 hours of carbon guilt and you can then go on PPRuNe and pat yourself on the back about how much of a great environmental citizen you are! I'm glad it makes sense to someone... Not me...