PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preparing for my interview - feedback please
Old 14th Jul 2012, 21:53
bfisk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your weaknesses?
I don't consider myself to be a 'weak' person, but like everyone there are certain areas where I can improve - sometimes I might set my standards too high or try and do too much, but for the most part I consider myself to be a strong minded individual.
Yeah, you just didn't get hired, right there.

This is a typical interview question, and you are rightfully preparing an answer for it - as you should be. However, the answer you provide is the obvious, dodgy escape. The feats you list aren't even really negative.

The aren't really asking about your weak sides at all - no one gives a toss if you're bad at volleyball or the madly jealous type, or if you are too fond of fastfood, or a notorious cheater. They want to know if you have any self-awareness at all. No one is perfect, we all know that, and it doesn't put you at the back of the line if you aren't either. But noone likes a know-it-all who thinks they are perfect.

This is a damn hard question to get right. You're either going to come across as a perfect liar, or a imperfect but honest individual. Which would you hire?

Edit: to get you started, I'll tell you about my biggest flaws: sometimes I can be extremely self-centered and confident, to the point where others will avoid working with me. I like the sound of my own voice more than anything else, taking up a lot of social space, which will cause others discomfort. Neither is empathy my strongest suit, and that has caused awkward moments at times when I'm completely disconnected from, what some might call, the world. The point is, that for me, these are areas in my life where I'm genuinely trying to improve and adapt. Being honest about this hasn't caused me any trouble at all, on the contrarty, I had and interviewer tell me that this was sort of like how I came across, and she didn't think I was aware of it. I got that job by the way, and another one recently on the same token.

Last edited by bfisk; 14th Jul 2012 at 22:05.