PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2012, 21:35
mckpave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is one other question that I have pondered, after reading your comment regarding the 75 degree nacelle/40 KT limit during forward transition. The question is, with a FBW control system, why not put that control law into the software, thus eliminating that error possibility?
You most certainly could do this, just like during conversion the Structural Load Limiting (SLL) won't allow certain nacelle settings at certain airspeeds and will stop the movement and even bump the nacelles forward. It really is a matter of training because 40 knots comes very quickly, I dare say less than 10 seconds after reaching 75 nacelle. And going through 75 nacelle isn't critical, but with the Morocco accident, the tailwind combined to make it a bad situation in my opinion. If there had been a headwind we wouldn't be discussing it. Could it happen again? Most certainly, but you have to put some faith in the crews to do the right thing, if we placed mechanical or software limitations on any aircraft because the pilots made errors, we'd have a bunch of "whiskey-delta" aircraft out there.