PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2012, 16:53
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shaker

"That a shaker had on occasion been ignored, which resulted in stall, loss of control and subsequent fatal injuries and damage to the property is a solid fact."

From Clandestino....

You supply evidence (anecdotal) that supports a partial story. Shall I waste our time and bandwidth by supplying reams of data that support the opposite side? That the stick shaker is a life saver, is trained in approach to Stall syllabi, and is found on your very own aircraft?

You fly a turboprop, a T tail, I assume. That is a complex platform, and in challenging conditions, I propose that your aircraft so equipped, is a safe one?

My comments were meant to gain information from others, not meant to be argumentative. I said that in the type of Stall 447 experienced, and flown by a confused pilot, that the outcome may have been better if the stick turned into a buzzing snake in her pilot's grip? At the moment when the a/c exited the envelope? Further, the rest of the way down, he held back stick. Would he have done so if the stick started to actually shake his hand numb? Also, wouldn't the other two have noticed the stick shaking? Could the Captain's side have been included in the warning state? For three minutes, would the PNF have allowed the PF to continue holding the mushed attitude? I say things would have been markedly better, and though you may claim, "one in a million", would that cause the families of 228 dead people to agree with you?

The 330's Stall was entered in extreme fashion, quickly, and without the nose drop and falsely advertised Buffet from Stall that the Airframer sold the regulator on when begging for what you describe as "dispensation" from Shaker install.

I am amazed that such a seasoned pro would continue to say that the shaker would have been of no use.

"I'm having a problem with understanding that an A/P pb will physically engage in 'latched' ALT2 when it wouldn't engage during the period of time that the condition precipitating the latching was in effect."

From OK465

My friend, so am I. At the very least, even if the a/p did not return, why did the Captain make his comment? Also, if the a/p is latched out, common sense would indicate the logic would remove the selector from annunciating "ON". In a critical cockpit, let's agree that cleaning up all extraneous (and possibly dangerous) info would be a mind set for the designers of the panel.

Last edited by Lyman; 14th Jul 2012 at 17:13. Reason: Add attribution