PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Airbus 319 Suspected Triple Hydraulic Failure
Old 14th Jul 2012, 13:54
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ PBY

....I was the only one who knew, that 3ple hydraulic means mechanical back up.
Was that a typo, or just me being too thick ( has happened before! ) to understand what you wrote?

From my previous post

- Flight controls are Electrically-controlled and Hydraulically-activated.

- If you lose ALL electricity "MAN PITCH TRIM ONLY" will be displayed on the PFD and manual pitch trim (Mechanical control) of the THS is possible through the pitch trim wheel. This is called "Mechanical Backup" and has nothing to do with HYD systems.
Hydraulic failure(-s) has nothing to do with mechanical backup, electrical failure does.

Why? What would change if he believe it or not in case of triple hydraulic failure?
He/she would know what was NOT an option anymore. Is it all of a sudden acceptable to have pilots NOT knowing the systems of the aircraft they fly? What else does he/she not know? What else are these "instructors" telling crew they can or can't do with this aircraft?

I've seen a very experienced airbus crew opening the X FEED valve when getting a fuel imbalance advisory 15 min after having an engine failure with damage. Pumped fuel over board and ran out of fuel on short final. 30+ years of airbus experience between the crew.

Another crew were getting a low on fuel with dual HYD failures and briefed that "Weather is not great so we will give it one go. If we can't get down we'll continue to our alternate" Checked fuel on FMS and were "happy" with their plan. Go around followed some minutes later by "Jeeesus, we are burning a lot of fuel....." Flying to their alternate with gear down and flaps jammed was not something they had calculated with... This was a very inexperienced crew though so hopefully it was a good learning experience for them.

I am a relatively speaking inexperienced simulator instructor so I am sure there are people out there who have seen many more of these mistakes, mistakes that should not really happen if you know your aircraft systems well.
I also have to add that most of my instructors over the years have been very good and personally I have no complaints. Some stories here makes you wonder though.....