PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it me... or the UK ATC system?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2012, 12:17
FoxRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no IFR in G (Germany)

We can blame Adolf for everything, except for airspace G.

Right after WWII with Germany not being a sovereign state aviation and flying was forbidden for Germans and German companies. Military Aviation prevailed and only air carriers of allied counties were flying. In 1951 glider flying was permitted (initially with restrictions), in 1953 Lufthansa could form again and only after 1955 private aviation could reestablish.

Airspace structure reflected this development. FL 245 and above was initially reserved for the military, private aviation was limited to uncontrolled airspace (IFR was out of the question anyhow) and the in-between was left for commercial aviation.

As a concession the VMC-minima in uncontrolled airspace was set to this ridiculously low level.

Later private aviation was permitted up to FL 100 (ED-R 9, for those, who remember). Somewhere in the 80s (my memory leaves me there) the ICAO airspace classes were established and the original VMC-minima transfered.
Everything remained the same, just the name changed.

Being the masters of doubt, nothing gets changed lightly, as inappropriate it now may be.

I have a little hope in EASA. If they forbid airspace F, we have to get something in return. Maybe it's IFR in G.

Regards,
FR