PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Flight - Possible Refund?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2012, 10:20
betterfromabove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I seemed to have sparked off some interesting debate....thanks for the stories and the thoughts.

To clarify prelude to missing flight:
- Mode and timing of transport from Zermatt were not my preferred option. Suggested driving time was actually given to us by the hotel manager in Zermatt who was hosting us and does trip regularly.
- Agree didn't give much buffer-time, but we were completely within schedule before (i) took marginally longer Lucerne branch of motorway by mistake (ii) hit 2 hour standstill at Lucerne due to accident (iii) further 1 hour of near standstill around Zurich motorway
- No option to use internet cafe en route: were either in mountains or on a motorway and made no sense to leave it
- Remember we were in central Switzerland with UK phones....constant tunnels, overpasses, mountains....reception even to phone was patchy and 3G ($$$) slow, intermittent or simply non-existent.

In terms of BA's response:
- Agree that there may be a number of reasons someone may miss a flight, but BA's lack of interactivity means that if such a scenario develops and you are on the move or simply out of digital contact then they are assured of pocketing a replacement ticket (if non-flexible)
- Why don't they supply a local contact number with your e-ticket?
- They may make more money out of not picking up the phone, but eventually that will lead to disgruntled pax and lowering of reputation and brand.
- It was the Exec Club number we phoned as it was the only one I had stored on my phone for them.
- Maybe it just comes down to BA focus their CS on Business/First...it's where the money is and it's where they need to be careful (so they think...) in terms of who they're dealing with. They forget business travel deciders also travel coach from time to time....

In terms of the Swiss Transport Authorities response:
- Got a nice official letter from them today confirming a 2 hour standstill at Lucerne due an accident in the motorway tunnel and that there was severe congestion all around the Zurich ring road.....seriously impressive.
- Will now be forwarding this to the travel insurance company to try to get a refund for our tix. Some debate on whether this will work, but it's the sensible thing to do.

Lessons learned:
- Usually do it, but try to be based near airport on day before leaving. Simple but effective.
- Europe is becoming unbelievably clogged around every urban centre. Assume the worst on the roads in such areas.
- Fly Swiss.
- Take note of local CS numbers before leaving.

Last edited by betterfromabove; 14th Jul 2012 at 10:22.