PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 14th Jul 2012, 09:13
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been in an SR22 a couple of times and it didn't strike me as any different to a TB20 to fly in terms of what it does if you "lose" it.

Any "150kt" plane will be slippery, in that if you bank it to 45 degrees, close your eyes and take your hands off the yoke, when open your eyes 10-20 secs later you will be past Vne.

That's just basic physics. You aren't going to get 150kt or so out of 200 or so HP (speaking of cruise settings) unless the aerodynamics are fairly reasonable.

I think the Cirrus takes more getting used to than a TB20 because of the stick which has a lack of feel to it, and I would be tempted to fly it on autopilot most of the time.

Legally you can fly an SR22 (or a TB20) with just a PPL and diff training which could be as little as a 1hr flight with an instructor with the right authority. Whether that is a good idea is another matter and insurers evidently take a different view. And the instructor won't sign you off until he reckons you are good enough, which will take as long as it takes... 1hr, 10hrs, 30hrs...

I do think systems competence is important but one is entitled to disagree and take the view that the compass (and altimeter etc) is all you need to know.