PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 14th Jul 2012, 08:20
goldeneaglepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said 421. In my opinion the insurance company will specify a minimum number of hours experience for the pilot and then conversion onto type as required, rather than X numbers of hours of training.

I fly an aircraft that is considerably more complex than the Cirrus, that is both in terms of systems and performance. The limitations of the insurance is that the pilot must have High Performance sign off, Turbine sign off and 1000 hours SEP experience. They also stipulate a 10 hour course (if the aircraft was registered in the UK operated on a JAA licence then it's a specific type rating)

With a turbine, pressurised cabin, retracts and a cruise speed that is not that far off VNe in percentage terms compared to say a spam can ( a speed that can easily be reached should you lose concentration in turbulent IFR and are hand flying it) It's also a type that has a history of insurance claims.

Now the real question is if the Cirrus is as complex and difficult to manage? I would strongly suspect its not.