PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic call up's
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2012, 08:16
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
orca,

Thank you for your reply and let me say how nice it is to have reasoned response without (as we are all guilty of) resorting to slagging each other off; Thank you.

OK, so we clearly disagree and I would concede that in the main, you are correct in your comments. Yes, we are there as a backstop, Yes to your points on MACA and to all of the others, but where I still disagree strongly is your point about someone getting a short-notice, crash move to Faslane or anywhere else.

They get a short-notice posting because of service reasons, whether we like it or not.Someone has gone sick, someones Wife is sick, there is an urgent op reason, whatever. They don't get a short notice posting to Faslane, because the NAAFI manager has quit his job, and they can't get a replacement. (Do we still have NAAFI?) And I think that is the fundamental point I would wish to make strongly out of all this.

These 3500 boys and girls aren't getting a last minute posting because we are off on another Op Corporate. We are not going off to invade some third world dictatorship. Indeed, they are not even going off to provide essential fire cover for our wonderful civilian fire service. They are going off to prop up a civilian company, who were supposed to provide security for a civilian event at a time when the Armed Forces are hurting more than they have ever hurt before.

I am absolutely furious about it all I have to say.

I am sick to death of the Armed Forces of this Nation being regarded and treated as little more than pond-life by the government, CS's, MP's and all-un-sundry each and every day and yet, as soon as there is a problem, 'Lets bring in the troops'

All I am saying is that whilst they don't have an entitlement or ligitimate claim to a financial reward (and I accept they don't have a legal entitlement) I just think it's time that someone stood up and said, 'hey, if we are going to screw over our Armed Forces for crap like this, let's at least show them we are grateful'. And that NEVER happens.

Wives do put up with a lot and in the main they get on and 'suck it up' However, they will be less willing to accept another separation simply to help out a civilian company that has charged us all (and been paid already!) millions of pounds and delivered nothing.

I seem to remember that when I came back from Corporate, I was given 2 tickets to the FA Cup final that year! As it happens, I gave them away because I couldn't make it! But it was a nice thought. Does the same happen now?? I somehow doubt it.

Maybe G4S should pay to send them and their families away for a fortnight to Centre Parks or somewhere else.

Rant over for another day, just about to launch into the wide blue yonder!!
Be safe

Winco