PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2012, 00:55
gusatstol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poterroo
I still have my charts with aeronautical information 1958 that doesn't have many airfields.This meant when I was given the days flying by yvonne with landing notes by Ron,[I would put a copy here if I was allowed to put jpgs.] I went to the tower to have pencil marks put on my chart where I was flying to for the first time. The 1968 chart does have Maipa marked between Bereina and Terapo 10 miles inland of track. In my log book I think py-mip-py 1.20 hrs.
When overnighting at Bereina we played cards and gave the boi in charge of the generator a bottle of beer to not turn it off at 2000, but to leave it on all night. Also I remember a story about a patair pig that landed with the wheels up. Very little damage and the pilot had a plan, get the natives to dig holes for the gear to drop in and drive it up and out. Unfortunately he was spooked by an overflying aircraft and lowered them early and broke them.
Bill Baldwin had a heavy landing at Efogi and I flew the c180 all the next day [practicing tail down wheelers] until Herbie Ray found the seam was torn one third of the way around the fuselage.
Does any one remember swimming the flume to the top of the turbine at Rouna Falls. It sound dangerous but Ron Firns had his children with us.
My first instuctor Brian Wetless has died in the last year, Keith Robey was at his funeral.

Last edited by gusatstol; 14th Jul 2012 at 02:32.